May 8th, 2017 10:52 AM by Dan Howard
The issue of needing
healthy classrooms concerns most of us. They are essential for quality
comprehension and education as well the welfare of your youth.
One of many examples
is lead poisoning. The ingestion of lead from peeling paint affects the soft
tissue of a child. It can permanently affect the IQ of a child and cause
behavioral problems that affect them the rest of their life. Ingestion can be
secondary from hidden causes. It could be dust from the paint in the closet
where classroom books are stored over the summer. Lead dust can come from peeling paint scrapings
when a cafeteria is painted or on china plates used to serve lunches. The
source can be imported plastic toys in a kindergarten. There are a host of
other potential issues including pesticide residues, radon, fumes from idling
buses, mold, CO or CO2.
We know that there are classrooms and school buildings
that are making our children sick. Parents and teachers often do not know where
to start to identify or correct the situation.
That is nothing new.
We tend to think that today’s problem is a new problem, and often it isn’t. The
quote below “says it all” in that regard.
“In the construction of buildings, whether for public
purposes or as dwellings, care should be taken to provide good ventilation and
plenty of sunlight….schoolrooms are often faulty in this respect. Neglect of proper ventilation is responsible
for much of the drowsiness and dullness that….make the teacher’s work toilsome
-Health Reformer, 1871